Friday, September 4, 2009

Home.

It is interesting to be in a place that I am to call home but is not yet home. I suppose every time you come to a new place in life, a new season, it takes time to close old doors and fall in love with new things, new beginnings and new people. Life is so different on another continent, but is also it is very much the same.

I talked with a Ghanain friend yesterday who asked me why I was interested in the orphanage he often visited. I told him that I wanted to learn how to love people better. He asked me what it was like in Canada, to have orphans. I told him people are orphaned in very different ways. That in Canada, maybe people do not have very much, but they have lots of things still, and have access to food and healthcare. In Canada when people are orphaned it is because they do not have very much love. They don’t have parents to support them, or older people to tell them what is good for them and what is not, so there are many young people who make choices that are bad for them, and are left alone in the world, weather they are orphaned physically or not.

Here, it is very different. Maybe people have nothing, but they still have love. They have communities to care for them and take them in, even if there is not enough food to go around, there are people to tell them what is good for them, and what is not, and in the midst of homelessness, there is a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment