Monday, September 7, 2009

Footballs and poverty

Last night I went to a world cup qualifier soccer match. I will try to put up pictures eventually. The stadium was crazy- fully of people pushing eachother every which way, screaming and shouting and jumping around. Fans were sitting everywhere, it was impossible to find my seat. I ended up wedged tight between two Ghanains, sharing half a seat with one and having the other one prop me up. The match was exillerating, and Ghana one, which was on the front page of the paper I read this morning at the University.
Afterwards fans spilled out of the stadium and we were thrown into the midst of children kicking cardboard boxes, vendors frying kabobs and selling drinks and candy and phone cards from large bins balanced on their heads. Alot of people sell things like that here, like when you’re in traffick and open a window and throw out a few peswas (cents) for a chocolate bar or passport carrying case or any other assortment of things.
We took a cab ride home, and saw a little boy strewn amoung the traffick asking for change. We met eyes and he came to my window. He didnt say a word but put out his hands. I don’t know why I was shaking my head no, why I said I didnt have anything. I suppose it was out of habbit, or all the books and documentries I read warning me about such things. “you can’t help everyone” people say- or “its a scam, they don’t really get the money and if you give them some it will make their situation worse”. Maybe this is true, but when you look into the face of a little boys poverty, its hard to justify those things. There is something about that his that will haunt me.
Somedays I find it hard to be here, other days it is such a Joy. I know that it takes time to adjust to a place, but its hard to think of the amazing things I left behind and know that all my friends and family are still living in that joy and I have to struggle with learning this culture and figuring out my place in this crazy, crazy world, where really we know nothing.
I know my God is faithful though and leads us through such things. This is a verse I have found encouraging lately, it has helped me through trials before and has been an encouragement to me.
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverence. Perseverence must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. “
James 1:2-3

2 comments:

  1. You write so well. But your wanton capitals and crazy inventive spelling makes me laugh. Your quirky spelling is so Jenn - so creative and so, well, everyone spells it like this, so I will spell it like that. It makes me miss you even more. I love you and all that your heart shares. I am glad Ghana "one" the soccer match. I also hope they won. Maybe they won one nothing. Muah, Mummy xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I am so glad to see how far you've come in your life. To understanding that you cannot help everyone but to want to anyway is something that I love and admire in you. I will continue to pray that God comes to thise places of lonelyness, frustration and trials, and does give you peace.
    "may the lord bless you and keep you, may he make his face to sine upon you and be gracious unto you, and give you peace. Amen"
    love you and miss you even more!!!
    abby xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete