Sunday, August 30, 2009

In Ghana, and on the way..

I am finally here! The flight was long- from leaving my house in Mississauga to getting to the University where I am staying was about 24 hours, although the plane rides wern't that bad, maybe 12 hours total. the rest was just layover and baggage checking.

We were in Amsterdam for the layover- some of the people I was traveling with decided to go into town, so we managed to make out way, at 7 am (the middle of the night in Ontario) through the city, without a map, ate some fresh pastries, chilled in a park for a half hour and then walked, the long, lost way, back to the train. Total we walked about 3 hours- which killed my feet and back as I was carrying all my carry on luggage, but it was worth it, the city was beautiful.

Now I am in Accra. The city is much like any city would be, malls and tall building and lots of roads and cars. People get around here in Tro-tros; these bus-like vans that people crowd into and a guy hangs out the side while its driving to tell you where they are going so you can hop on. The people are beautiful here- its sunday, so all around campus the students are in the nicest clothing! The girls are either in beatutiful, patterned dresses, or jeans. we have on capris and backpacks and are taking pictures.. i suppose a group of white people looking like that will stand out for a while, but hopefully soon we will some-what fit in!

I just wanted to say I have arrived safe and sound, and will be in touch soon. I will probably have more internet on campus then later in the year, so I will try to take advantage.

3 comments:

  1. Jenn, great to read your first post from Africa and glad to hear you had a chance to "lose yourself" in Amsterdam. Look forward to the new Ghana-Jenn photo.

    What a thrill to be leaving one of your dreams - love Mum and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops - we mean "living" one of your dreams - Freudian slip - you "left" us on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woah! Congratulations on having a blog up already!
    I'm glad you're there safe and sound. Enjoy a much bigger campus then Trent
    love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete