Friday, August 14, 2009

The Message.

This is a poem I wrote 3 years ago on a trip to BC.. I was thinking of it the other day and wanted to share it. I called it "The Message".

Why did I not understand?
When I heard your beckoned call knock upon my door so long ago
and said "i will not wait but i will follow you"
but it seemed i took too longbrushing my hair,
drinking my coffee and tieing my shoes
before i stumbled out that old oak door
before the sea
sun and breeze hit me and the seagulls screamed
and i squinted in your general direction
but only saw, bare foot prints in the sand.
you said that you would carry meand so i set out, following
step by step
through the mountains and valleys, unto the sea
its so much harder to walk in your shaddow.
and I wish I had jumped on the boat when you first called me...
I could have seen you walk across that waterand calm the storm
instead of just hearing the wispers while i waited for the rain
to read the writting in the sand
scratched and fadded by time
but still visible...I find the basket left of loaves and fish
12 baskets abandoned on the hillside
you must have known i was comming,
so far behind.I fall upon them ravonously
Ive been walking so long, so hard
trying to catch up and walk beside
And the food has now grown cold and dry
it would have tasted much better in the company of yours
light to see and salt to eat
but instead i sit here in the dark
and try to light a candle
but its hard...when everyone looks at me loathingly,
telling me they're trying to sleepwhen daylight breaks (its sunday)
I try to clean my self up,
i know that youd be pleased
and i find the bassin you abandoned
the water is still cold, not yet luke warm
which means I must be close.
I wash my feet, alone
it would have been much easier
to have done it then with you,
and let you serve me
that i may serve you..
but instead i labour over myself
carefully wiping every bit clean and hoping that i can keep myself nice and neat
for you.
and as I'm walking on
i keep my head down, passivly to avoid getting any more dirty
A shaddow soon falls over me.
I look up thento see the mountain
that they say was your destiny
I scramble up
anticipating
I have been walking so long, so hard!
trying to catch up to walk beside...
but when i reach the summit, all i see
is an empty cross
blood dripping down,
where you died for me
and used to be...
I kneel down crying in the dust
sobbing for my hard pressed loss
that i never got to walk with you
and talk with youand hear your news...
But as i turned my head to leave
I can not help but stop and stare,
amazed
for you have climbed up next to me
to be comfort me, in all my grief
and i stare baffled "it can not be! all this time,you've been by me?"
and you just gently smiled at me and said:
"I never stopped knocking at your door
those footprints didnt walk that far
and when i parted on that boat i called your name as you stood on the shore
but you just would not see to me.
I left you writting, food and washings
and walked beside you, never talking
to see if you would notice me;
but you just kept your head down
trying to keep your feet clean
carefully walking to try to get to me
but i am the last and i am the lost
all the paths of poor you crossed
I was the one you never saw
but how could you not see me?
how could you not understand?
I'd never leave behind my lamb!
but you just have to see me.
Now listen to my message son
the one i wrote for everyone on how you can be saved:
my father kept his promiseand he has raised me from the grave
"God will never let the bodyof his holy one decay"
and i came to forgive you
not just to keep you clean
but just that i may walk with you
that i may set you free.
so never shall you walk alone but listen to my words of hope
and i will plant if you will sow
and heed my call to serve."
and as you held me in your arms
and washed my sins away
i cried the cry of freedom come:
because you came to save

No comments:

Post a Comment