Saturday, August 15, 2009

Unfinished lives

Sometimes when I travel to new places, I feel like there are pockets of life that I am leaving behind, unfinished. That the people I meet and want to see grow and change and love, I just leave, and then I never know what could have been had I stayed.

I am leaving behind a girl that I mentor, Sarah (not her real name). Sarah lives in a low income complex with her mom (for now) and has anger issues that are out of control because her family is unstable and she just desperately needs to be understood, desperately needs to be loved. Sometimes I feel like I failed her, by not being there enough, and sometimes I feel like I gave her the world just by being her friend and trying to love her best I could. I guess thats where we leave things up to God, to piece together and take care of the beautiful lives we will only ever see a small snapshot of.

"Maybe this was made for me, lying on my back in the middle of a field. Maybe thats a selfish thought, or maybe theres a loving God. Maybe I was made this way, to think and to reason and to question and to pray. I have never prayed a lot.. but maybe theres a loving God."
-Sarah Groves

No comments:

Post a Comment