Thursday, April 15, 2010

Christ our Strength...

I have cool friends. I’ve gotten some e-mails and post cards over the time I’ve been away, updating me on lives and good things and challenges. I think I have the most beautiful friends in the world though because almost EVERY time one of them writes me with a problem or a challenge they’ve been going through- from tough exams to getting their bag stolen to trouble with boys to having to leave the country in an unexpected situation (???)- the first thing that they write is always the same- that they first and foremost turned to Jesus, for strength. Each one will have a different scripture or encouraging phrase, and say boldly that no matter what happens to them- they know they are in God’s hands.

I think that this is cool because it isn’t natural. When something bad happens, the first thing that we tend to do is to get depressed or frustrated and angry- to take it out on someone or themselves or something. Isn’t that more normal? I mean we are all human right? But my friends- crazily enough- REJOICE. This is absolutely, and utterly, bizarre. But somehow, time and time again, it is the case.

Sometimes I get people ask me questions like “if God is so great- why do bad things happen to good people”. My response to this is bad things happen to everybody- we live in a messed up, broken world- and who determines who is who is ‘good’? The question is when bad things happen- what are YOU going to do about it?

1 comment: